Information about the Library of the Institute of Archaeology SAS in Nitra
Institute of Archaeology SAS
Lunch break: 11:30 – 12:00
The Library of the Institute of Archaeology SAS was built along with the establishment of the State Archaeological Institute in the year 1939. In 1953, when it was incorporated to the newly formed Slovak Academy of Sciences, the library possessed over 4000 volumes. Currently, it serves as a specialized library, which provides an overall informational activity within the area of the archaeological survey. Secondary archaeological sources are being processed and stored in the Library. At the moment, it is more than 35 800 monographs and almanacs, over 25 000 journals and 6 775 reprints.
Obtaining the library’s pool was in the past, as well as today, realized by various means. The exchange is dominant. Approximately 90 % of the acquisitions is obtained by the library from its trade partners as an exchange for books and journals from the production of the Institute of Archaeology. Exchange partners consist mostly of other Institutes with the archaeological focus, but also of Universities, state scientific libraries, publishing houses, editorial offices of journals and individuals from around 50 countries of the world.
The library has an available catalogue of authors, journals, and a card index of the series. Employees of the IA SAS have free access to all publications (except the historical pool, which is lend only on a presence), the general public only on a presence in the study room. Journals are deposited according to countries, books by the numerus currens system. Non-archaeological publications (encyclopaedias, dictionaries, bibliographies…) are allocated in the reference library. All the monographs and almanacs are stored in the DAVINCI database and journals are currently being transcribed.
The online catalogue is available on the internet website of the library.
Our exchange partners have access to the exchange literature pool in a number of almost 36 000 publications. The Institute of Archaeology publishes three journals per annum, monographs written by its employees and various almanacs. All these books, from which multiple have been published in a foreign language – German, English, French, Russian, are suitable for the exchange.
The library is used mainly by workers of the Institute of Archaeology, students of Constantine the Philosopher University in Nitra and employees of museums from around the whole republic. Since some foreign informational sources are available only in this library, its services are often used by interested parties through the Interlibrary exchange service. The informational system CEZL – provides readers in the University Library of Bratislava and in the Slovak National Library in Martin from the whole Slovakia with exact information about the pool of the Library in the Institute of Archaeology SAS in Nitra.
We will welcome book donations.